Friday 18 September 2009

Dan Brown's 20 worst Sentences


The Lost Symbol, the latest novel by The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown, has gone on sale and Tom Chivers has a funny article in the Telegraph pointing out Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences taken from his 5 books.

There's been a long-running argument on DB's ability to write. He's certainly come in for some harsh criticism. 5 best sellers and 2 blockbuster movies do not a writer make...er, yes they do. Bet DB's crying all the way to the bank.

I've only read Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and I enjoyed them, taking them as the fun/mystery/thriller they were meant to be. Does that make me a bad reader, then? According to some comments my brain must be mush and I'd be better off reading Dostoevsky or Samuel Beckett. Why presume I haven't already?

Discuss ;0)

5 comments:

Julie P said...

Hi, Sue. I've never read any of Dan Brown's books but I think I'd like to. I haven't seen the films his books are based on any way. I think reading different writer's work is good for the soul and the creativity - it's the only way we learn what works and what doesn't. I read lots of different stuff but anything too heavy gives me a headache and I can't finish it1

Carry on reading what you enjoy is my opinion!

Julie xx

Melissa Amateis said...

I read half of The DaVinci Code and literally wanted to throw the book against the wall. I could barely stand the writing and the plot devices he used over and over again.

That being said, however, I don't think there's anything wrong with reading it. Some people really enjoyed it just like I enjoy a good mystery or thriller.

Happy Writer said...

Kinda puts you off trying to write a book knowing that if it becomes a wordwide hit and earns you millions it will be picked to pieces and laughed at....oh, hang on...if it earned me millions....

Martin said...

Sue

I've only read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, and a jolly good yarn it was too.

As for the rather short-sighted comments you mention, I guess some people just haven't heard about judging book by their covers.

Enjoying your Blog.

Sue Houghton said...

I got to see the movie of Angels and Demons the other day and have to say I enjoyed it. Of course it had its silly moments - the priest in the helicopter for one!