Wednesday 17 June 2009

Sales & Copyright issues

June has been good for me so far. 3 sales to date. It would've been 4 but I withdrew one from publication after receiving the contract which demanded I sell them the copyright. No way, Jose! This was to a US mag - one from the 'Trues' stable. Apparently it's the done thing over the pond to give up copyright but I've never come across it anywhere else in the world.

I've sold over 200 short stories in the UK, India, Australia, Sweden, Norway, France, South Africa, Middle East, Ireland and the most restrictive contract has been with Woman's Weekly which asks for First Rights for 18mths before selling elsewhere excluding OZ. I do hope other magazines don't follow the US lead or my income will plummet. I rely heavily on re-edited stuff!

No comments: