Saturday 22 August 2009

For no other reason...

...than they're pretty! Isn't this modern arrangement gorgeous? They were a birthday gift from my daughter. The roses were from Himself, the lily bouquet from my parents and the spiky plant was from my brother.

Thing with flowers is, the moment they come into my possession, they start to wilt. No, seriously, I mean within hours they start to droop even though I do all the right things like, you know, cut the stems on the slant, add flower food...someone suggested a dash of lemonade helps to keep them perky but the only place lemonade works for me is in a vodka.

I should probably stick to artificial or dried flowers, but they're dust-gatherers...well they would be in my house. And aren't they supposed to be bad feng shui? Apparently not if you keep 'their energy fresh'. If they accumulate dust (or dog hairs) then they'd emanate dried and lifeless energy and there's enough dried lifeless energy around here thank you!

I love the way the bright orange spike on this plant matches the pot. Apparently they come in reds and purples too. The label says to water it from the top so that the moisture settles in the leaves not on the soil. This might ensure its survival because the soil in all my potted plants tends to go mouldy and smelly - victims of my over-enthusiastic watering technique!

4 comments:

Glynis Scrivens said...

Good luck with the plant, Sue. We've got some too - in our garden in Brisbane. Keep it warm!

Sue Houghton said...

Oooh how fabulous! The trend over here is to go for more exotic garden plants - we've got a palm in the front garden and a bottlebrush tree in the back. We need reminders of past hot summers I think!

Julie P said...

I love flowers, Sue, and the ones you got for your birthday are beautiful. I've seen a plant like that yellow one before - very exotic - I don't think it would survive long here! Far too cold in the midlands I think.

Julie

Teresa Ashby said...

They are gorgeous, Sue! I love the spiky one - hope it lives long and prospers!